Hello Howard! Glad your interested in helping out. Have a look at the activities page on the Ubuntu Wiki for ideas about what we do, and pay attention to the mailing list for requests to help test.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Activities

Right now we have an on-going effort to help with kernel testing. Check it out below:

http://www.theorangenotebook.com/2012/07/call-for-testing-1210-kernel-on-1204.html

Welcome and happy testing! Thanks for helping make free software and ubuntu better. If you have any questions, simply post them to this list or email me and I'd be happy to help.

Nicholas