An excellent question -- and feel free to suggest where the explanation for this is lacking ;-)

If you want to monitor the daily changes to ubuntu, you can run the development version of ubuntu. Simply install from an iso, or upgrade your pre-existing installation to quantal and you'll be running the development release. As changes are made, they will land in the archive and you can update your system each day to grab the updates.

The other side is testing the daily iso images we build. Because of changes in the archive, etc, we want to make sure the image we produce is actually installable :-) This is done by using the isotracker and the cdimage repository to download the images. It's recommended to use zsync to do this and some form of re-writable media. Zsync will only download a few MB's a day as they change, sparing the 800 MB+ download, while the re-writable media will allow you to update the image to install it on your pc. Additionally, have a dedicated hard disk, partition or spare pc can help here. If not, a VM also works and I would recommend using a VM and testdrive at first to get the hang of how it works. Testdrive sort of keeps track of the iso, uses zsync, and sets up Vbox for you, so it's a nice way to get your feet wet.

See the quantal builds for today:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/219/builds

If you test them out, be sure and report your results :-)

Nicholas