Alex, wonderful to hear from you! This is a great time to get involved as I already mentioned UDS is going on, so please do try and attend. Old hardware is great (we like folks with all types of hardware :-) ), and limited time isn't an issue. You can slot time in on your schedule to help. I'll toss the same links out to you, but please do ask questions with whatever looks interesting to you.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam
https://qa.ubuntu.com/getting-involved/

If your mostly concerned with contributing test results on your pc, we've been doing cadence testing cycles. These are week long periods of focused testing, so you have a week to find some time to test and contribute.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Cadence

We hang out here on the mailing list, but real-time communication is really nice too. We're on freenode on IRC, #ubuntu-quality. You can use your own irc client, or just hit the link below. Stop by and feel free to get some real-time help or just to say hello.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu-quality

Nicholas