On 24 October 2013 22:49, William <wjck...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/24/2013 04:03 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>
> On 24 October 2013 18:05, chris hermansen <clherman...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> William, I am with you. But still "remove windows" leaves the would-be
> ubuntu user to think that there may be a way to put it back later...
>
> It is some time since I did an install like that, but does it not warn
> with a message "Warning this will delete all files on the disk" or
> something similar before it starts the install?
>
> Colin, Look at the screen shot part way down this post, it clearly states:
> Warning: this will delete all your programs, documents, photos, music, and
> other files in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04.
>
> http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2013/10/ubiquity-and-installing-ubuntu-and-its.html
>
> That seems pretty clear to me. Although since this is in fact happening, the
> suggestion made in the linked blog post should likely be implemented, but
> there should probably first also be an extra pop-up warning when people
> select this option.

> If they don't heed the warning the first time when they
> make their selection, oops. If they don't heed a second pop up warning,
> shame on them. But if they are so bad with computers that they still really
> truly don't understand what's happening, I agree with the blog post that
> they should be directed to a youtube video explaining everything.

I agree that a popup warning would be a good idea when the user clicks
Install after selecting to overwrite everything.  Then there should be
no doubt about what is going to happen.  I am not sure that a video
will help as I am not convinced that most will look at it, but on the
other hand it would do no harm and could be useful for those that do
look.  However one does have to remember that it will have to be
re-done every time the interface changes otherwise it will just add to
the confusion.

Colin