Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry if I am sending this to this list but I believe it is the best channel to ask about the issue.

I have a very old machine (hp compaq nx9030) with Pentium M CPU.
You can't install 14.04 unless you add:

forcepae

before you boot from the LiveUSB:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/450400/install-lubuntu-14-04-lts-on-a-non-pae-processor

The CPU has PAE but its flag is showing NON-PAE. That is why, when "forcepae" does work. We all know that the kernel in 14.04 is PAE. Starting from 12.10, all *ubuntu family moved to PAE Kernel instead of NON-PAE.

Lubuntu 14.04 and Xubuntu 14.04 installed successfully on that machine.

The problem starts when I upgrade to 14.04.1 .. the machine will stop responding after the login.

With Lubuntu 14.04.1, every time I login to the desktop, it shows the desktop with an error message that I can't read and quickly go back to the login screen. Mouse is frozen.

With Xubuntu 14.04.1, it is a bit better but mouse frozen and everything is broken after login. It does not however go back to the login screen like Lubuntu.

I have tried ToriOS Alpha (http://torios.org/) and it worked perfectly. The only problem with ToriOS is it is still under heavy development and I can't give a new user to GNU/Linux a machine with Alpha system.

My questions:

Have anyone faced the same issue with Pentium M CPU?

If yes, how do I go around this issue without problems?

This is my 62nd convert from Windows to GNU/Linux (StartUbuntu in real life) [1] and I'd be very happy to fully convert it to GNU/Linux.

I have never used Pentium M before. This is my first time. All my installations for the last 4 years were successful. This is the first time I face this issue so please advise :)

Many thanks!

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/Activities#Convert_Users_in_Real_Life

--
Ali/amjjawad