If like me, anybody else was wondering what Nicholas meant by "you can run and
test on your LTS desktop", this is taken directly from the linked article;

Run unity8 as a separate session on your local machine. It will be installed in
a container, keeping your current installation safe. This is the recommended
choice. It can be easily uninstalled after testing if desired, or kept up to
date as unity8 develops.

What to test?
Try installing applications, using things, check out the store and scopes, etc.

If you are someone like me and depend on the stability of an LTS release for
work purposes, now you can test the new Unity 8 desktop even within your
existing environment which I thought was pretty cool....I know I'll be joining
in at least :)

Damir