I'm just going to throw this out there, because I abandoned SDC
(usb-creator-gtk) ages ago in favor of unetbootin, and this thread prompted
me to spend some time this afternoon checking it out and seeing if it was
usable or not.

Keep in mind, this is my sample size of one, but I tried three ISOs:

original 14.04, most recent 15.04 and todays 15.10 daily live.

I also tried 3 different USB sticks, an ADATA 16GB USB3, a Sony 8GB USB2
and a generic 4GB USB2 stick.

I use LTSs for desktop, thus I have a current and fully updated 14.04.3
system.  I also, for grins, tried creating these using both a USB3 hub that
I use mostly, and directly attached to a USB3 port on my system, an HP Z220
workstation.

1: Not all of the options via CLI seem to work
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1497431

2:  I was, using three different sticks, three different ISOs on my updated
trusty system, unable to create ANY successful usb stick:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1497445

3:  I discovered that not only was I unable to create a usb stick using
usb-creator-gtk, it also fails to clean up after itself after it fails to
create usb sticks, leaving all sorts of mounted filesystems behind:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1497449

So, point is, I completely understand the frustration that the others feel,
because I feel it myself, and have for some time, especially when
usb-creator has over 450 open bugs right now of varying importance, 205 of
which are still in the New state going all the way back to Lucid and still
untriaged.  I, myself, have 10 bugs filed against it, none of which were
every moved beyond New or Confirmed.

There appear to be 899 total bugs for usb-creator
424 in some open state (New, Confirmed, Triaged, Incomplete)
0 in In Progress or Fix Committed
229 in Fixed Released

Today, when I want to try a daily image, I use a VM because I don't have to
make a bootable usb stick to boot a VM.  If I want to install to bare
metal, I have to use unetbootin, because for all its flaws, it works far
more often than not, and certainly more often than SDC, for me.

And I can only base this on my one experience, because while you may,
somehow, be able to build USB sticks all day long using this tool, I,
generally, have had the opposite experience with it, going all the way back
to pre-Lucid.

So it would seem to me that there are quite a few open and reported issues
for usb-creator that present the perception of essentially being ignored.

In any case, the above is my personal experience, and I don't presume to
speak for anyone else in this discussion, so grain of salt, YMMV, and all
that.

Jeff