There is a huge amount of value in video communication, and it can be an
easier form of communication for non native-English speakers too.

This is though, a mailing list. It is a medium designed for *text*
discussion and collaboration. The purpose of a mailing list is to discuss
ideas, approaches, and problems in a way that the threads of the discussion
can be easily connected. When you throw in another medium (such as video,
audio, PDFs, presentation decks etc), it makes discussion (referencing and
responding to sub-points) waaaaay more complicated than it needs to be.

Trust me, I can't stand it when people are overly prescriptive about
communication...I am a firm believer in a "live and let live" approach in
how we communicate and share. As an example, note how I am top-posting. ;-)
There is though a practicality issue of how people respond to content in a
video. If Alberto makes a valid and salient point in one of his videos
(which he indeed has), it is difficult to reference and discuss that part
of that video. Sure, people could provide timestamps, but that will get
messy quickly.: one thing I have learned is that if people are expected to
include too much meta-data in their work (such as timestamps), it just
won't happen.

My take is this: people should feel free to post videos of on-topic videos
to this mailing list, but if you are expecting a discussion of the concepts
in that video, it isn't going to happen. If you want a discussion, post
text to the mailing list and you will more likely get some good discussion
and debate.

Thanks,

 Homepage <http://www.jonobacon.com/> · About Me
<http://www.jonobacon.com/about/> · Consulting Services