First, my apologies for writing in English only. I do read French but as a transplanted American write it rather poorly.

But to the point, a great solution to the problem of too many old and no longer needed kernels is a script written by Kim Kulak, Fearless Founder of Ubuntu Vancouver. Kim has given me permission to share his script with Ubuntu users everywhere. Here is Kim's description of what his script does.

"What the script does is make a list of all the kernels installed on your system. From that list it removes the kernels you want to keep, the last installed kernel, the previously installed kernel, and the currently running kernel. (Note that the presently running kernel is almost always the same as the last installed kernel.) The script will then print the list of kernels it will keep and a list of the kernels it will purge,and then prompt you for your password so that it can purge the unneeded kernels. You'll then see a lot of output as the kernels are purged and your grub menu is updated." Please do wait until the script finishes. It may take several minutes and works around for each kernel being removed. A little patience, eh?

Were one (or more) of the technically advanced members of Ubuntu Quebec to request it I would gladly send Kim's "purge-kernel" script to them. It truly can be run by any user capable of opening a terminal and following two very simple steps. Or even by a couple of simple steps in Nautilus or Caja.

From personal experience I know it works as described for my UnbuntuMate 14.04 LTS as well as for my wife's Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

For those using the script from Nautilus or Caja they must first set the properties of the script file to be executable in a terminal.

For those using the script directly in a terminal here are the two simple commands (assuming one has saved the script to one's home folder.) N.B., the first command need only be run once as it sets the file properties.

The two commands are:
chmod +x purge-kernel
./purge-kernel

N.B., Ubuntu Vancouver was begun in March 2009 and can be found in Meetup at http://www.meetup.com/ubuntuvancouver/ .

Kim can be reached at kim DOT kulak AT gMail DOT com .

Georges