On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 11:35:54AM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Steve Langasek
> <steve.langa...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Fair enough,  It's just that so far none of the flavors have responded, so
> > I'm not sure if they considered this addressed at them.
> >
> > Which flavors need to sign off on this?  Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Studio,
> > UbuntuKylin?

> Representatives from everyone (that didn't already pull in Noto Color
> Emoji) except Kylin have replied to the bug directly.

Ah, excellent.

> Kubuntu and Lubuntu Next object to having Noto Color Emoji installed by
> default.

> The Lubuntu and Lubuntu Next metapackages ignore Recommends so I don't
> think Lubuntu's opinion should carry much weight here. (They already
> don't install Symbola and won't be getting this new Recommends now
> anyway).

> Qt doesn't support color emoji everywhere yet. So I suggest that
> Kubuntu could just have some thing like libqt5gui5 pull in Symbola for
> now instead of having it done by desktop-common. If that's fine, then
> we're ok to drop Symbola from desktop-common.

> The remaining question is whether it's appropriate for  desktop-common
> to pull in the default Noto Color Emoji font that is useful for most
> GTK (and Cairo I think) apps or if most desktop metapackages will need
> to explicitly request it instead.

If Kubuntu and Lubuntu Next are objecting to its inclusion by default, then
I think this is clear-cut.  The desktop-common seed is meant to be packages
that are actually common, and if there's not consensus among flavors that a
given package should be, then it shouldn't be.

slanga...@ubuntu.com                                     vor...@debian.org