On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 08:53:20PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Hi Robie,
>
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 05:02:34PM +0000, Robie Basak wrote:
> > Dimitri uploaded a dep8 fix for dovecot in bug 1757265.
>
> > I've always been reluctant to accept SRUs for things that are not user
> > impacting.
>
> > For consistency, please could we decide a policy on this?
>
> To understand, are you looking for consistency because you think the policy
> should be to reject autopkgtest-only fixes and you don't want uploaders to
> shop their upload around to multiple SRU team members to get the answer they
> want?  Or is it that you think it's unfair to uploaders and a waste of their
> time to have done work that might then be rejected?  Or some other reason?

I think consistency saves wasting everyone's time, so all of the above.
Uploaders would know what to expect and SRU team mebmers won't duplicate
review time. It would a waste for me to reject or defer an SRU and for
another SRU team member to later accept it, and frustrating for
uploaders to be playing a lottery like that.

> > Separately, we currently don't have a good place to keep such pending
> > fixes. We should perhaps define one.
>
> Does the Server Team's git importer provide for this as part of the branch
> schema?

It doesn't, but we could quite easily define an answer to this if
everyone is prepared to use it. The importer's branches are read-only
for everything apart from the importer. This is deliberate, since they
should match Launchpad publications exactly. I don't think it would make
sense to include anything else in what hte importer manages itself,
except for perhaps making recommendations for naming "pending" branches.

However, that's only what's in ~usd-import-team (these are the default
git repositories for Ubuntu packages now). What other branches exist
against the same target Ubuntu package is outside of the scope of the
importer's repository, and we could quite easily use those. The tougher
part would be to make sure that uploaders notice.

We could define a team (or teams) whose repositories could hold pending
fixes, along with a suitable branch naming scheme. Or we could just
leave MPs open against the right (default) branches and use Launchpad to
find them.

To solve the part of uploaders noticing, we could have tooling to
quickly find any pending uploads, but we'd still be relying on uploaders
to run that tooling.

Longer term, I could have our lint tool notice, but I think we're quite
far away from being able to focus on that.

Robie