On Wed, Aug 08, 2018 at 11:09:59AM -0400, Daniel Watkins wrote:
> One extra argument for waiving the requirement: this package does most
> of its work on first-boot of an instance; we have to manually build new
> GCE images specifically to be able to test it.  Users who just enable
> -proposed and upgrade (even if they then reboot) will not be performing
> meaningful testing of the package.

Thank you for pointing this out.

I think I have a difference in opinion on the other justifications given
so far, but this one swings it for me. If it isn't meaningful to perform
SRU verification without re-rolling the image, then +1 to waive the
aging requirement for as long as this remains true. We still are closing
the door, but even if we got more users participating in SRU
verification, this wouldn't be covered without very special extra steps,
so I think this tips the balance enough for me that I agree that we can
skip aging in this case.

I would prefer for this kind of thing to be a general SRU policy, but
I'm too uncertain on the exact criteria to specify and whether there
would be edge cases meeting a definition that I'd be unhappy about, so
perhaps let's leave that until we have a few other examples and amend
the policy specific to this package for now.

Robie