Hello!

I had a quick look at the draft proposal - I have made a few small
corrections here and there. That being said, one other change I did
and that I would like to propose is to simply do the full QA process
for *every* fwupd release. First of all, it's easier to remember which
steps are needed if there is just one verification policy. Secondly -
I personally think that the more tests are being performed on an
update, the better. So I would like that both switches from 1.3.x to
1.4.x and regular 1.3.x to 1.3.y be following the same tests as
outlined in the proposal.

If that is fine, let's get this merged into the firmware-updates page.

Cheers,

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 at 23:51, YC Cheng <yc.ch...@canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi, to support OEM cutting edge hardware in LTS, we need to upgrade fwupd
> across dot release (ex: 1.3.x to 1.4.y) again (we did that in bionic, too)
> based on the discussion on the roadmap sprint.
>
> Given this will be a repeated work, here is the fwupd-updates SRU policy draft
> for final review.
>
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/firmware-updates-draft
>
> fwupd has most of its role on hardware support and also has userspace
> command-line utilities, a daemon that talks with ubuntu-store. So extra care
> will be needed.
>
> The updated policy add the possibility of upgrading across dot release and
> add MUST-RUN steps for such a case, to make sure we won't have regression.
>
> We've done our best to prepare the updated policy with contributions from
> several engineers to make sure it has good coverage. Please kindly approve
> or comment on how to make it better.
>
> Thank you.
> --
> YC Cheng