On 7/25/07, Joe Brouhard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm going to take a crack at this, but the Server Devs can probably
> shoot me if I get this wrong...
>
> On 7/25/07, carlopmart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >   I would like to migrate my centos 4 servers to ubuntu LTS 8.04 when it
> > will be released to build xen robust servers using redhat cluster suite.
> > But I find a problem: how can I see which package have 5 years support
> > and not 3?? Why ubuntu server doesn't use separate repos like rhel does??
> >

> RHEL is a "paid for" system.  Nearly all of their developers and
> package maintainers are on payroll, so they're paid to maintain those
> repos.
>
> Ubuntu, on the other hand, is almost entirely comprised of volunteers.
>  Maintaining multiple repos is time-consuming (Running my own local
> repo is time consuming by itself), and a lot of the devs don't have
> that much time on hand.

Ubuntu has a lot of paid staff as well, and AFAIK all of the packages
in main are supported by paid Canonical developers.

> Plus, I don't think it's really fair to compare RHEL to Ubuntu-Server
> (no matter the version).  RHEL has been around quite some time.  I'm
> not sure how long Ubuntu's been around.  RHEL is produced by a full
> company of paid developers, whereas Ubuntu isn't done the same way.
> Apples and Oranges to me.
>
> The easy way to tell 3 years to 5 year support is LTS Support.  LTS
> support means more than 3 years.  Unless it says LTS, you're going to
> get 3 years of support and end up upgrading every couple of months.
> At least, that's what I think.. The devs can shoot me if I got this
> wrong ;)

This is incorrect. Regular Ubuntu releases (e.g. Feisty) are supported
for eighteen months. LTS releases are supposed to be supported for 3
years for "desktop" applications, and 5 years for "server"
applications. I agree with the original poster that it would be nice
to know exactly which packages fall under which categories.

--
Evan Klitzke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>