On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 06:19:21PM +0100, Malcolm Yates wrote:
> oops. sent too soon. Look at http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-jeos too. If
> you are looking to use Ubuntu to run in VAs / VMs this may help you.

Thanks for the link, Malcolm!  I saw another interesting article on
the Ubuntu JeOS at

 http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2198483/ubuntu-expands-virtual

and other examples of JeOS's at
 http://blogs.vmware.com/console/2007/07/get-juiced.html

But I can't find any more specifics on the Ubuntu JeOS, and in
particular no links to download anything, despite the "availability"
announcement:

 Canonical Ltd., the commercial sponsor of Ubuntu, today announced the
 availability of its Ubuntu JeOS (Just Enough Operating System)
 edition.

Does anyone know more?  It seems that there would be many JeOS's,
tailored to each application.  But I'd be happy to just get the core,
or a JeOS targeted at Django or Apache or something.

It sounds like JeOS would be great for Amazon's ec2.  I've been
impressed at how quickly the Gentoo image used for Django starts up on
ec2 - just about one minute, compared to 2 or more minutes for
several others I've tried.

http://developer.amazonwebservices.com/connect/entry.jspa?externalID=797&categoryID=101

Neal McBurnett                 http://mcburnett.org/neal/