If you use the ubuntu server cd, and then install desktop
applications, it's more or less like using the classic ubuntu cd.

Imo, if you install cups, you'll always have avahi as a dependency:
cups use zeroconf because networked printers do.

I really don't understand why you want to install desktop applications
on your server and refuse to disable avahi?
If you really don't want avahi for whatever mysterious reason that
disabling it can't solve, you'll have to modify all the packages that
depends on avahi.

IMO instead of using gtk apps to setup a server, ebox (
http://ebox-platform.com/index ) would be a better alternative.

Sebastien Estienne