On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 17:19 -0500, Michael Behrens wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2008 5:04 PM, Onno Benschop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>         >
>         > You don't need to talk about products. Just the architecture
>         would be
>         > interesting. The Sun servers in question are sparc. so the
>         question may
>         > be - i386, amd64, or sparc?
>         >
>         > dave
>         >

>         I suppose that it depends on what kind of data you're trying
>         to capture.
>
> i386 / amd64 == x86 in the overall sense of things, yes there are
> differences
> but I think if we create too many options, we will turn people off.

True.

> As for sparc, yes, there are certainly sparc users, in fact there are
> ppc users (I just installed -server ppc myself on a test machine).

I specifically pointed out sparc, because ubuntu was certified to run on
it (with quite a bit of hype, i might add).

http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/sun

> I think the best way is to have the final item in that list be
>
> * Other (Please Specify)
>

>         That is, the original question was in a round-about kind of
>         way asking
>         about brands and presumably coverage within those brands to
>         see if
>         something falls out of the bottom, that is perhaps we'll see
>         something
>         like: "We know that 50% of our servers are run on HP
>         hardware."
>
>         The path Dave is taking is one of CPU/architecture.
>
>         They're two different kinds of questions.
>
> Agreed, they are two very different questions and while we are
> likely to be addressing a technical audience with the survey, we
> cannot
> garrauntee that, therefore it should be, IMO as general as possible,
> which
> means sticking to brands.

Which could mean dropping the architecture specification from next to
the examples, as different vendors ship multiple cpu archs (or have done
in the past).
From the list, these vendors have shipped/do ship multiple arch's ubuntu
will run on:

HP - IA36, AMD64, IA64 (unoffical port though)
IBM - IA36, AMD64, PowerPC, POWER (uses PPC packages mostly)
Sun - AMD64, UltraSPARC

kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor