On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 07:03:45PM +0200, Mark Schouten wrote:

> I think the power of linux is the openess and the use of open standards.
> Trying to conform to non-standard solutions like the solutions from
> Microsoft instead of building a platform based on open standards will
> not be a solution. More and more governments request stuff to be built
> on open standards.

All this is good and true.

As per previous (and I'm sorry if people get tired eyes before they get
to the end!) we have to acknowledge where there are *no* effective
formal standards from the IETF or anyone else, and go with the very good
solutions we have in order to make it even better. The fundamental point
is that mail and calendaring RFCs can't deliver what hundreds of
millions of people expect from their groupware experience, especially if
you include the non-mail non-calendaring components. I do know about
Mozilla Lighening and so on, but that isn't even close to seamless
groupware as all those hundreds of millions of people know it (and, I
should say, use effectively.)

Thankfully, and recently, the three protocols I highlighed in the last
mail have become open.

> Were will we be when we've built 'Exchange for Linux' based on the
> Microsoft standards, instead of the open ones.

There aren't any open ones that can help... but I already said that. I
can't imagine what Exchange for Linux would look like, pretty horrible I
think! But a Linux server that uses an SQL server, an LDAP server, a
fast filesystem, a Samba server, a DNS server, an SMTP server and many
more to be a backend for a new server that talks MAPI... that's where we
will be and I think the view will be stunning :-)

> (There is no solution like Exchange in Ubuntu, even if you use Linux
> clients)

Working on it, working on it. Intrepid timeframe will see the clients
and some server components (try them out today!) Intrepid+1 timeframe
should see most of the rest of the server components.

--
Dan Shearer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]