Ubuntu gets its packages for new releases from Debian unstable.
However, the community is large and any bugs are taken care of
promptly, esp. on the server side.

Hardy, being an LTS release, will receive regular updates and support
for the next 5 years.

As far as the diff between Deb and Ubuntu AMP packages, well, Ubuntu
will have a later version. Also, Ubuntu's AMP install is very easy to
get up and running. It is toggled at OS install time, or by running
"tasksel" at console. Within minutes you'll have MySQL, PHP, and
apache2 running on your server.

Of course, tweaking is always as easy as in Debian.

On 6/9/08, Andrew Hodgson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Posted this to Ubuntu-users to start off with, but got redirected here.
>

> I am interested in deploying Ubuntu as a LAMP machine.  I have mostly in the
> past used Debian machines, but some of our web developers want to use a
> higher version of PHP (at least 5.2.4), and Etch comes with an older
> release.
>

> What is the general stability of the Ubuntu packages such as Apache etc
> like?  I took a brief look at the server, and it seems like some of the
> packages are coming from Lenny?  What are the differences between the Debian
> and Ubuntu Apache/PHP/MySQL packages?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Andrew.
>

> --