This sounds like an absolutely terrific idea. The next step (even
before design) is analysis. What flavors will be offered? What level
of customization are we talking about?

1) No matter how implemented, the "form" or install menu would have
questions on:

VM install / physical machine?
Minimal tools / Full tools? (Tools like w3m, full vim, etc.)
Tasks in tasksel (Servers to be installed)

2) Will this be an install-time set of options that could optionally
be automated, or will this be in the form of a program that spins a
custom install ISO?
While making it an install-time choice might make a tight fit on a CD,
it would be more flexible to use, IMO.

3) This idea would benefit us greatest if the program (if the
'program' route were chosen) doing this were somehow cross-platform.
This is not a requirement, but it would be handy.

Notes) This customization could go to the extreme (Selection of
individual packages) if a DVD or multi-CD release were available, like
FreeBSD. I don't see that being entirely necessary, however. If this
were made as a "Custom ISO Maker", allowing users to spin install DVDs
with more info would be a good option.

I hope my ideas are of some inspiration, and that I could possibly
help in the conception of this project.
--
Luke L.