There are generally three types of mail software, as i know:
1- Mail clients : used to connect to mail servers, read meails, and
send mails, with or without gui's.. example: evolution, thunderbird,
outlook, sendmail client
2- Mail Servers: the biggest part of picture, which actually sends and
receives mails... handles/holds mails on servers...  also named as
MTA, example: postfix, qmail, sendmail server
3- Mail connection agents: used to connect mail clients to mail
servers, over network over pop3 and imap... these are for
reading/getting/posting mails...not sending them actually to
targets...... mail servers send email actually... example: dovecot,
courier, cyrus

there may be count a fourth type, which are mail delivery agents -
MDA, in fact, i think these are part of mail servers...
but if you use local mail, these handle mail locally...

sendmail is a general term that is used for both a mail server and a
separate mail client

i dont know much about exim4 , but that may be a mixture of both mail
server and type 2 mail connectors..

what i suggest: postfix...
it is easy to install and maintain, i think..

as a hosting system, i suggest: ehcp, you may get that from
www.ehcp.net/download
it install everything needed for a hosting server: webserver, dns,
mail, ftp, mysql and so on...

i hope that would be usefull. if you have more question, you may ask me...