Soren Hansen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 12:05:04PM +0100, Lionel Porcheron wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at replacing some of my Xen instance with kvm. One of the
>> thing I found usefull with Xen was the "xm console" commands which
>> show a tty console. I did not find the same feature with KVM (unless I
>> use virt-manager with vnc). Did I missed something or this feature is
>> not in KVM?
>>

> IIRC, the version in Intrepid supports this. You need to set up a serial
> console and configure the guest to use it.
>
>    http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsConsole

Soren is indeed correct, this does work - however you also need to setup
the guest to present a console to serial [0].  KVM's tty is displayed as
a VNC display, and Xen's is a pty.  However, a serial console is
arguably as good - and I quite like having the ability to have
ssh->serial console, and the ability to VNC. You can use "screen" as a
serial console client with "$ screen /dev/pts/3" (or whatever the serial
is present as in your host).

[0] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SerialConsoleHowto

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker