SPARC has had some kernel issues recently which should be resolved as
of writing, but it is still a community-supported architecture. silo
at the moment is broken though causing d-i to FTBFS, and the
installation to bomb out, its been on my TODO list to look at this for
awhile, but I have no ETA on when that might be.

At the moment, the best way to install is to use a Dapper or Hardy
(depending on your machine, I had to use Dapper's installer to get my
SunFire to install, but Hardy's installer should work), then upgrade
to the desired release. Jaunty's netboot installer may also work, but
I haven't personally tested it.
Michael