On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM, Nikolai K. Bochev
<n.boc...@grandstarco.com> wrote:
> I am quite curious about the state of qcow2 format in Lucid. As i recently
> discovered, when running a KVM machine with a qcow2 disk , i get a great
> performance hit under karmic. Seems that not only disk performance is
> decreased ( copying with 2 Mb/sec from the host to the guest and with around
> the same from the network to the guest ), but it hits the cpu on the guest
> pretty hard and the machine ( guest ) can become quite unstable. I know this
> is more of a  KVM/QEMU question, but i was wondering if anyone played around
> with Lucid already and with that part in particular. I have quite a few
> virtual hosts with lots of guests on them running on production environments
> and i want to know if i should just switch to raw format or wait until Lucid
> comes out and keep the qcow2 format of the disks.

I'm using KVM + qcow2 + virtio with Lucid host and Lucid guest quite
extensively.

Can you tell me more about your setup, as I'd like to see if I can
reproduce the problem you're seeing?

Specifically, what is your kvm command line when you're seeing the
problem, and what are you using to measure your performance or disk
throughput?

:-Dustin