On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Sasha Levin <levinsasha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm testing S3 sleep on a server installed with ubuntu-server.

Awesome!  I use it *all* the time with the 10+ machines I use in my
house running Ubuntu server.  It saves me many dollars per month, when
these machines are idle.

> Sending it to sleep and waking it up once using wake-on-lan once works well.
> Further attempts to send it to sleep make it resume from sleep almost
> instantaneously without any obvious reason.

Please file a bug against the pm-utils package in Ubuntu.  Please
explain a bit more there about what the effect is, what hardware you
have, etc.

> I've tried running the same test using ubuntu-desktop, but that worked
> perfectly. The server stayed in S3 even after several wake-on-lan cycles.
> /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages don't show a clear reason why the
> desktop works and the server doesn't

What are you using to suspend both?  /usr/sbin/pm-suspend?

Can you wake it correctly with other mechanisms besides WoL?  Like
just pressing the power button?  If so, then it's probably breakage in
the ethernet driver, and may be work-around-able (sp?) with ethtool.

:-Dustin