Fascinating in a perverse way. The NX (no execute bit) is a tacit concession
that Von Neumann architecture is a mistake. Not sure how much performance is
lost by using it and even less sure if anybody actually uses it. It may be
called something else in the BIOS (perhaps data protection or enhanced virus
protection). http://kerneltrap.org/node/3240

Burroughs large systems incorporated an NX like feature in its memory
mapping scheme. http://www.groupsrv.com/computers/about487.html

I suspect this discussion is academic since Intel's support of the NX bit
has not been consistent which could lead to a coding nightmare.

I've put this conversation back on the ubuntu-server list, perhaps someone
else has wisdom.

Jim

--
Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA