On Tuesday 28 September 2010 10:45:58 Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > mount /dev/nintendo/lvm4 /mnt -o ro
> >
> > If it has a filesystem on it, that should detect it, and mount it
>
> I get following message when I do as above that you said.
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type

If they are used for virtual machines, the LVM volumes are probably
partitioned. You can still mount them with -o loop, but it's not recommended.

You have to shutdown the virtual OS in order to take a safe backup.

One way to take a backup is to convert the LVM volumes to compressed qcow2
images, like this:
# qemu-img convert -c -f raw -O qcow2 /dev/nintendo/lvm1 /backup/lvm1.img