I have always had problems stopping tomcat 5 with any init script.

The free community version of the java service wrapper works great.  It
comes with its own init script and has many additional features that I
needed.

http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/download.jsp

how to configure tomcat:

http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.com/doc/english/integrate-start-stop-nix.html

Then I do:

update-rc.d tomcat defaults

which is for the old System-V init and not upstart but still works for 10.04
ubuntu.