On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:10:47AM -0400, Douglas Stanley wrote:
> > It's been an ongoing topic for while.  I think we really have the
> > opportunity to differentiate Ubuntu here.  In particular, preseedable
> > d-i integration would make Ubuntu deployment a completely hands-off
> > operation.  Again, count me in for that one!
> >

> I'd also like to see this, as well as some possible pre-canned
> recipes/manifests. Even if they were just in an extra docs package, or
> on a dedicated wiki section or something like that.
>
> Doug

I've been thinking about this, too.  It would be great if users who are
creating a new puppet-centric infrastructure can start by creating a puppet
master node with the puppetmaster + new modules package.  The modules package
could contain pre-written modules for common services that define and take care
of installation, configuration, management, etc.  If done correctly, the entire
environment could be in-place and waiting before any additional systems are
booted.  Another option would be to have additional puppet-* or
puppetmasterd-module-* packages, each containing a module for a specific
service or need.

Initially it felt like Puppet was still so new that it was difficult to find
defined best-practices, but with the publication of the Puppet Style Guide (
http://www.puppetlabs.com/blog/a-question-of-style/ ) it seems it wouldn't be
too hard to develop and ship manifests and modules that meet the standards.

---
Adam Gandelman