Just my $0.02 worth (in line comments):

On Mar 31, 2011, at 3:43 AM, Clint Byrum <cl...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> This states the following requirements for running Ubuntu Server:
>
> * 300 MHz x86 processor

The requirement of 300 MHz has more to do with providing a backhand way of
indicating a generation of processor - it may be prudent to reword this to say
"Pentium II processor or compatible"

> * 128MB of system memory (RAM)

While 128 Meg of RAM is tight for a standard install, I can easily imagine a VM
running in that small amount of RAM (what is it called now, a 'minimal' install
of Ubuntu Server could probably run fine with 128 Meg).

> * 1GB of disk space

The install media fits on a CD-R, so a 1 gig footprint for the OS seems right
(user requirements would certainly add to that, but the 'requirement' is for
the OS only)

> * Graphics card and monitor capable of 640x480

Serial consoles may be an option, but they are far from mainstream, maybe it
would make sense to add ", or a previously configured serial console"

Also, as a question, is the 640x480 a hard coded requirement, or can the
installer handle lower resolutions?

> * CD-ROM drive

As others have noted, a CD-ROM is not a requirement, maybe add words to the
effect " or other compatible way to load the OS, USB key, PXE NetBoot, etc."

A hardware requirement means something is "required to function", not makes for
a 'comfortable user experience' - that is why many OS vendors describe both a
set of system requirements and a recommended system configuration.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth...

Ken