On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Scott Moser <smo...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011, Marcelo Shima wrote:
>
> Please send plaintext responses. Your comments are very difficult to find
> in a text only reader.

Odd I always thought iphone sends plain text mails.
Seems I was wrong. Sorry about that.

>> As far as I know x2goagent is just visual patches too.
>> No bug fixes, no features, no api changes.
>
> So why would you be so opposed to using that as an upstream?  Anything
> other than just avoiding unnecessary duplication? That is obviously a
> perfectly valid reason, I'm just curious if you had others.

X2goagent changes the output s/nxagent/x2goagent. This will break
FreeNX, but it is a reason that can be ignored since freenx is not in the
repository.

I tried for 2 times the MOTU process, nxcompshad was accepted but
no nx-x11/nxagent, no nxcomp, no nxcompext nor freenx. And I must
say that nxcomp and nxcompext packages uploaded to the repository
last month are almost identical to the packages from freenx-team ppa.
So the work was just redone.

These were just rants. I needed to do that =).

Continuing, I think nx-x11/nxagent is ready for inclusion.
Maybe a dsfg version without the nx logos would be better.
X2go team will take the visual/output patches they've made and port
them to nx 3.5.0 and then they will be updated.

I use freenx for 5+ years and will continue to use it. until a good
replacement is developed. X2go is just the same.

>>> Just as an fyi, one thing that was considered was the fact that NoMachine
>>> may not be a long term sustainable upstream for NX.  From
>>> http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=331, see:
>>>  | This release marks an important milestone in the history of the
>>>  | company.  Version 4 of the software, in fact, will be only available
>>>  | under a closed source license.
>>
>> I am aware of it.
>> Spice seems the best alternative for the future.
>
> I will admit to not being terribly familiar with Spice, but the two things
> that kept me from considering it a completely useful solution were
> a.) It seems that it is only a solution for virtual machines (ie, running
> under kvm.
>  We need a solution that would work with "bare metal", lxc or inside of
> an EC2 instance (xen guest where Amazon controls the host).

http://spice-space.org/page/Features/XSpice
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~alon/xspice

XSpice is a xf86-video-qxl driver fork, so just execute Xorg with an
xorg.conf using it.
The best thing about it is that Spice is not an xorg 6.9 rc(something) fork.
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~alon/xspice/tree/README.xspice?h=xspice.v4

But has I said it is for the future.

> b.) it seems more focused on "virtual desktop" than "remote desktop".
>  By that I mean more "low latency, high bandwidth network", than "high
> bandwidth [relatively] high latency".

Has far I'm concerned these features are top priority too.

> I could be wrong on either of those points, and obviously work could be
> done to address them.

For the future I want a Spice greeter for lightdm. =)

If x2go is the choice for Ubuntu, I have no problem with it, but
I think it is important to add support for managing remote desktops
technologies in the core of the session manager. That is the solution I'm
proposing. The solution will involve lightdm developers and can be started
now and be stable for Ubuntu 12.04 lts release.