On Wednesday, October 03, 2012 07:34:16 AM Neal McBurnett wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 02:22:26PM +0100, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> > On 2012-10-03 14:05, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > It's not a question of fair or not fair.  The policy is what it is for
> > > good
> > > reasons.  It does not say that external packages are not allowed to
> > > change
> > > configuration, but that they have to do so via a program provided by the
> > > package.  This gives a defined interface and reduces the risk of
> > > incorrect
> > > changes.  I think this makes a lot of sense.
> >
> > I agree, but the problem is that most programs don't have this. If you are
> > lucky, a program supports "change the configuration files and SIGHUP the
> > daemon". Why doesn't Debian policy require them have this interface? In
> > the
> > absence of that requirement, the onus is on the webmin team to do their
> > work for them.
>
> How does ebox/zentyal deal with this?

Generally, I don't know.  I did take a brief look at the ebox mail package
once and it kept a copy of the postfix configs in a non-standard location, left
the normal configuration files alone and then forced postfix to use it's own.
My
vague recollection is that it seemed better, but still not policy compliant.

That was a very early version of the package (it wasn't in the Ubuntu archive
yet) so it may be totally different.

Scott K