On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Sander Smeenk <ssme...@freshdot.net> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I recently got directed here from ubuntu-devel-discuss with my
> pet-peeves on how i think Ubuntu Server is not really tailored for
> servers [anymore], the thread of which you can read up on here:
>
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2013-January/014163.html
>
> I wrote about these issues in an earlier thread on this list too:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2011-April/thread.html
>
> Basically it boils down to quotes from the above shown threads;
> | "I like to be able to watch the [boot] process happen. [ .. ] I don't
> | care if my server looks pretty when it's booting.  I do care that I
> | can see at what point in the boot process a catastrophic failure has
> | occurred."
> and;
> | "[ .. ] under no circumstance should a server blindly come up in a mode
> | in which it cannot display to a virtual console. Never. Ever. No Excuse."
>
> In fact, and i really, *really* don't mean to insult any one involved in
> ubuntu-server development, but i kind-of wonder if the people putting
> all this hard work in ubuntu-server are actually using ubuntu-server on a
> daily basis on more than one system like a lot of sysadmins like myself
> do.
>
> Me and my team manage roughly 200 servers running Ubuntu. We encounter
> situations where we have old CRT monitors, shady KVM-switches and crappy
> ILOM/ELOM/DRAC java implementations with which we have to manage our
> servers. Situations where (we/the customer) botched something up which
> makes the bootprocess fail, etc.
>
> Framebuffers, or rather 'special video modes', are somewhat unstable on
> server hardware and/or plain right incompatible with shady KVM
> implementations which are, unfortunately, commonly used in colocated
> environments.
>
> What i really want to know is 'why' all this is necessary on server
> installs ad what we / i can do to get a clearer view on what is
> actually going on during boot.
>
> The path Ubuntu Server followed from Ubuntu Desktop is to depend on
> framebuffers and upstart during boot and to switch off the GRUB menu
> by default.
>
> I'd like to propose the (re)introduction of a special '-server' kernel
> which has no framebuffers enabled? Some mechanism to tune GRUB into
> verbose, 80x24 text mode when installed on a Server setup? Implement
> 'tee(1)' functionality in Upstart perhaps?
>
> Is any of this discussable?
>
> With warm regards,
> -Sander.
> --
> | 0 bottles of beer on the wall, 0 bottles of beer, you take 1 down,
> | pass it around, 4294967295 bottles of beer on the wall.
> | 4096R/20CC6CD2 - 6D40 1A20 B9AA 87D4 84C7  FBD6 F3A9 9442 20CC 6CD2
>
> --

I whole-heartedly agree with every sentiment!

Also, there are related issues when running ubuntu-server as a VM on kvm
(or technically, the minimal virtual install version). I tend to use serial
consoles for my vm's, so that I can access them via ssh, and it's a pain to
get boot output sent to the serial console and not the vnc consoles...

Just wanted to add that pet peeve to the above list as it's related...

Doug