Hi,

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Mark - Syminet <m...@symonds.net> wrote:

> > As of version 1.4, Upstart will, by default, log all job data to files
> under
> > /var/log/upstart/.
> >

> This is good, but what people are complaining about are boot-time
> processes;
> if we can login to look at logs, then it is already up.  What some refer
> to as "admin time" -
> that is, the time between when you enter the reboot command … and the
> server
> comes back up on the network.  Since the servers can be thousands of miles
> away,
> only a sysadmin can attest to that feeling while you are waiting for it to
> come back up.
> With a server dist, the expectation has to be that there is no one there
> to provide any
> input; it should expect to come up unattended no matter what, as quickly
> as possible.
> Bad fstab lines etc. it should just ignore so long as the rootfs is
> accessible.
>
> > Meantime, since few jobs actually explicity specify the 'console'
> stanza, what
> > you can do is add '--default-console=output' to your kernel command-line
> which
> > will send all job output to the console for those jobs which have not
> explicitly
> > specified 'console'.
> >

> Sounds like this should be the default for any server dist.

Being an admin of hundreds of Ubuntu servers, I am happy with Upstart.
It makes my admin life much easier than before.  Especially, logging to
/var/log/upstart
is quite helpful.  Shouldn't the default be --default-console="output log"?

Just FYI, we added these two upstart jobs to improve boot time experience.

    tty1.override: starts getty on tty1 as soon as possible.
       WIth this, we can login to the system when, say, something was
       wrong in /etc/network/interfaces .

    console-noblank.conf: disable console blanking.
        We could not get a clue to resolve the NTP leap-second soft hang
        bug in this June 30th.  If we have had this, we could quickly
identify
        that lockup was due to NTP.

Regards,

Yamamoto, Hirotaka (@ymmt2005)