 From: Tyler J. Wagner <ty...@tolaris.com>
To: Rajeev Prasad <rp.ne...@yahoo.com>
Cc: ubuntuserver <ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com>; Ubuntu technical support not
for general discussions <ubuntu-us...@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: rdiff-backup is it best openSource continous backup solution?

I saw your post to the BackupPC user list. I prefer BackupPC, but it's not
ideal for bare-metal restore. It's ideal for "whoops, undelete", and as
poor-man's version control. It can be used for bare-metal restore as well,
but I recommend installing a base OS from the install media, then restoring
over that using BackupPC_tarCreate at the CLI. If you want to continue this
discussion, please take it to the BackupPC user list.

Otherwise, rdiff-backup is great, supported, and works fine. Rsync + diff,
what's not to love?

I personally use rsync to a LUKS-encrypted removable drive once a month or
so, plus BackupPC to get the dailies. I use BackupPC at home and at my
company, where we have ~70 Linux servers and workstations, and 5 Windows
PCs, all safely backed up for the past 3 months, to just 4 TB.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"A society that will trade a little order for a little freedom will
lose both, and deserve neither."