On 05/08/2013 01:16 PM, Ante Karamatić wrote:

> Dana 08.05.2013 03:27, Phil Dobbin je napisao:
>
>> I installed Ubuntu 12.04 Server on its second drive successfully but
>> when it rebooted it told me that the Screen was out of range & the
>> refresh rate needed to be 60Hz & 1280 x 1040. I found this puzzling to
>> say the least that a headless server with no GUI whatsoever is
>> complaining about screen resolution.
>
> Check out:
>
> http://wordsideasandthings.blogspot.com/2012/11/ubuntu-server-text-mode.html
>
> http://web.dodds.net/~vorlon/wiki/blog/Plymouth_is_not_a_bootsplash/
>
>> I had to scrap the install because ufw was automatically enabled & I
>> couldn't ssh in to get a terminal running from another machine on the
>> network.
>
> Actually, Ubuntu server has a policy 'no open ports by default'. It's
> not that ssh is blocked - it's not even installed by default.

Ah, excellent. Thank you very much for that.

What an odd way to go about things. Very cack handed if you ask me.

I enabled the ssh server during install but saw no option to disable ufw
(it may have been there but I wasn't really looking for it). No open
ports by default is fine by me but the screen nonsense is ridiculous. I
have several old Dells (650, 860, 1850, R200, etc) & they're still very
useful machines for certain tasks. Cheap to pick up too although the
power usage can be a little hair raising.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &