Quoting cdmiller (cdmil...@adams.edu):
> On 12/10/2013 10:13 AM, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Years ago it was decided that vm-builder would be deprecated in favor
> > of alternatives (cloud images, live-build, and some others).  This was
> > dicussed at at least two separate physical UDSes.  However, it was
> > never actually dropped from the archive.  As a result people kept
> > using it despite it being considered deprecated and no longer
> > maintained.  This is resulting in people losing data and time, i.e.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vm-builder/+bug/1090223
> >
> > I intend to open a bug to ask that it be removed from the archive
> > for trusty.  If anyone objects, please reply here.
> >
> > thanks,
> > -serge
> >

> Could you please provide any more alternatives to explore alongside the
> cloud images and live-build mentioned for us behind the times vmbuilder
> users.  Another I can think of immediately is cobbler, anything else to
> consider?

At UDS Copenhagen, oz was mentioned as a promising alternative which
wraps the Ubuntu installer.  See
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/servercloud-r-vmbuilder
and
http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-r/meeting/21093/servercloud-r-vmbuilder/

I've personally not used it, and doesn't even seem to be packaged.  IIRC
Scott was the one who had mentioned it.  Scott have you used oz at all?

If cloud images suffice, then uvtool (in the archive as of saucy and
trusty, and in ppa:uvtool-dev/trunk back to precise) is an easy way to
create vms built on it.

-serge