On 20 August 2017 at 01:14, Ryan Harper <ryan.har...@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAICT, the dependency on ifenslave is from the ifupdown hooks provided
> (none of which execute /sbin/ifenslave).
> I wouldn't drop the ifupdown dependency on ifenslave unless you moved the
> ifdown scripts somewhere else.
>
> Certainly in Artful, if one does not have ifupdown, the package ifenslave is
> not going to provide any benefit, however if someone installs ifenslave; I
> feel that it should also depend on ifupdown as the scripts are where the
> integration happen.
>
> Do you think there is a use-case for the ifenslave package without ifupdown?

ifenslave has two portions: the ifupdown integration & /sbin/ifenslave.
/sbin/ifenslave is usesable by itself
if-up down hooks enhance ifupdown, but are themselves inert

In this sence ifenslave does not depend on ifupdown, but enhances it.
And instead of ifenslave depending on ifupdown, maybe in the new world
order ifupdown should recommend ifenslave.

or since the hooks do not depend on ifenslave they should simply be
moved into the ifupdown package. This would simply things, no?

> Ryan Harper
>
> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Dimitri John Ledkov <x...@ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Can we drop ifenslave?
>>
>> It's functionality is superseeded by iproute2 as far as I understand
>> and the ifupdown integration is no longer as relevant, as we are about
>> to default netplan & networkd.
>>
>> At least, is it ok to drop the ifupdwon dependency from ifenslave?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dimitri.
>>
>> --