Hi Phillip, Serge and Mark,
I appreciate community interest in this - but from what I heard so far
you'd be just as good with an out of tree solution not part of the actual
(dovecot) packaging right?
The current mail-stack-delivery does modify config files for you, so you
could drive the same via e.g. a github project just as Mark does with his
mail server he mentioned.
If it finds a lot of followers it might become a next mail-in-a-box - and
if not it is fine as well - a community is meant to live and try out things.
If you want you can start with what today's mail-stack-delivery does, but I
think this is not required (maybe better from scratch).

@Phillip/Serge:
I don't know if you'd prefer a github project or similar that just provides
a bit of scripting or if you explicitly want to maintain it as a package?
I'd think it is not needed, but I'm fine with the latter as well, but in
that case I'd still want to take it out of the dovecot package this cycle
and you can then push it as a universe community package (or as a snap)
separate to that.
This would simplify the doveot packaging, but not prevent you from
maintaining the same the way you want - so would that be ok for you as well?

On Sat, May 12, 2018 at 12:57 PM, Mark Constable <ma...@renta.net> wrote:

> On 5/12/18 2:13 AM, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>
>> I installed by hand, but am very interested in upping the number of
>> people using self-hosted email, so interested in helping with that.
>>

> FWIW, and please excuse this off-topic message and self-promotion, but
> I've been developing a very light weight mail/web/dns server with a
> PHP frontend that could be considered BETA quality, ie; mostly usable.
> It is probably quite relevant because it is 100% developed and based
> on Ubuntu 18.04 and significantly more sophisticated than the current
> mail-stack-delivery package -> https://github.com/netserva
>
> --

Christian Ehrhardt
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server