On 07/09/18 07:26, Leroy Tennison wrote:
I have a situation where I need to quickly bring up an Ubuntu 16.04
server environment on physical hardware without doing an install (I'm
"borrowing" hardware set aside for other use). [...] Is there a
better way I can mimic "Live CD" behavior with better functionality?

You question was already answered by David but FWIW when I've been in
a situation like this I install the current ISO installer onto another
USB stick and boot that to do any hardware forensics or diagnostics.