Hi,

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 10:11:26PM +0000, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> What bothers me is why the old file format still works on existing
> Ubuntu 16 systems and what kinds of other things might break that.
> Somehow there must be a "database" (I use the term in the loosest
> sense possible) or scheme which says in effect "if nothing has changed
> use the previous values".  How does this work and does it work
> differently under netplan?

Please see
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2015-May/038761.html and
in particular the paragraph starting "For upgrades".

Nothing is different "under netplan" - network interfaing renaming is
out of its scope and works exactly the same way for ifupdown as it does
for netplan.

Hope this helps,

Robie