Hey there,

Leroy Tennison wrote:

>I have two identical hardware devices, call them "2" (running Ubuntu
>16.04.5 x86_64) and "5" (running Ubuntu 16.04.3 i686).  On "2" a
>couple of NICs failed so I replaced the chassis by doing a hard
>drive swap between "2" and "5".

[SNIP]

>Where else can I look for the remnnts of the "5" configuration which
>are being applied at boot and preventing parts of the file-based
>configuration from working?  I even decompressed a copy of
>initrd.img... and found nothing.

It looks like nobody else has responded to this yet. I don't use
Ubuntu Server and I'm afraid I probably don't know enough to be able
to thoroughly help out here, but have you used the ifconfig command
to take a look at your network? Also, have you taken a look at
the /etc/network/interfaces file to see how your network is
configured?

I use the /etc/network/interfaces file to set up my static IP and
would be happy to share my steps with you if you'd like. I've also got
a collection of useful commands to get your address, dns-nameservers,
gateway, iface, and netmask, and also three more commands for
stopping, starting, or restarting the network if you'd like to see
those as well.

If nothing else, hopefully this message will draw attention to your
original message and maybe someone with a more appropriate solution
will join in.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.