Hi Leroy,

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 07:53:39PM +0000, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> I posted the issue on the Puppet mailing list - no response in 5 days.
> I tried back-reving to 3.8.5 but that doesn't work (unless there are
> some steps I must take).  Any ideas or direction?  Should I "bug it".
> Upgrading the 16.04 puppet server is a major undertaking.  Thanks.

We're dependent on upstream here. If an upstream puppet 5.4 client is
supposed to work against an upstream puppet 3.8 server, then sure, make
sure a bug exists against the package in Ubuntu. If upstream don't
support that combination, then unfortunately Ubuntu is unlikely to be
able to make that work either, or provide any sort of commitment that it
will.

Note that in both 16.04 and in 18.04 puppet is in universe in Ubuntu, so
the Canonical server team don't make any commitment to look after it.
Volunteers are welcome though, and we'll gladly help volunteers get
fixes landed, and eventually even get direct Ubuntu upload access, if
they can develop those fixes themselves.

Hope that helps,

Robie