On 11/28/18 3:56 PM, Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 1:12 PM Leroy Tennison <le...@datavoiceint.com> wrote:
>>
>> Reading all this, it looks like reverting to ifupdown is the alternative
>> until something changes.  However, when I tried to do that using a post on
>> the web things appeared to work (no error messages) but networking got
>> really weird - ping loss in the 20-50% range (and this was to my gateway on
>> the same physical cable as my NIC).  Can someone point me to information on
>> how to do this reliably?
>>

> Have you considered using the NetworkManager backend instead of
> networkd? That might be another option. As for handling the foreign
> addresses, please make sure you file a bug in Launchpad about this.
> Then it's easier to see about scheduling time to do the work.
>
> There is nothing more to switching to ifupdown than installing the
> "ifupdown" package. Then, remove your config from /etc/netplan, and
> replace it with the appropriate lines in /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> If you're having issues like packet loss, then I would check whether
> networkd still attempts to manage things -- this might happen if you
> haven't removed the files in /run/systemd/network ... or easier,
> rebooted since you switched to ifupdown.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu...@gmail.com>
> Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu...@gmail.com
> 4096R/65B58DA1 818A D123 0992 275B 23C2  CF89 C67B B4D6 65B5 8DA1

A side note related to using something other than systemd-networkd
we have a pair of 18.04 routers using keepalived, quagga, and bgpd.
We've disabled systemd-networkd entirely because it breaks with full
BGP routing tables:

We also observed if systemd-networkd restarts successfully with a
full table in place, it uses ~1.2GB RSS RAM, until the process is
killed.

Workaround is to use quagga for the static IP assignments and
keepalived for the floating IPs and local routes.

Is there any plan to support ifupdown or quagga as a netplan "renderer"?

Thanks,

--
- cameron miller
- Manager, Network and Systems Administration