On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 4:41 PM Leroy Tennison <le...@datavoiceint.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for your reply, I wasn't aware that bug requests had already been
> submitted.  The Ubuntu bug already has a fair amount of heat but the
> priority is low, any way of getting that increased?  It seems that the
> software source has been around for a while, is a newer variant of what
> Ubuntu already uses and has been used by other distributions for some
> time.  I would think that would mean it's pretty safe to implement.
>

> To answer your question - OpenSUSE 13.2 (which is really old at this
> point).  "man 5 crontab" refers to MAILFROM and indicates the Author is "Paul
> Vixie ⟨vi...@isc.org⟩" with the last line of the file reading "cronie
>  2012-11-22  CRONTAB(5)".  Looks like it was introduced at that version
> because 13.1 has the 2010 version.

vixie-cron is what everybody is/was using for quite some time, and all
distros patched it heavily. Upstream is gone, so it's effectively
abandoned. Suse was using it as well, but migrated to cronie. Found this
page about that migration: https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Cron_replace

cronie exists in debian experimental, but apparently abandoned (
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/cronie). It doesn't exist in Ubuntu.
Upstream is Fedora, at https://github.com/cronie-crond/cronie

I also found some documentation showing how to use systemd timers as a
replacement. It's not a direct replacement, though:
- doesn't parse crontabs, has its own mechanism
- doesn't send out email by default, one needs to use Onfailure and point
it at a script that will send out the email

We could check the patch that implemented MAILFROM and adopt it. I'm not
sure if suse used the same one attached to the bug I mentioned before.