Hi there ,

I recently bought a laptop (Compaq Presario C700) and installed Ubuntu
Studio (heron)
with a desire to use it for music tools on the move.

I encountered some problems with the sound (it was choppy, skippy and
distorted)
making it fairly unsuitable for any form of composition as the latency
and timings were
completely out of whack.

After a good lot of searching and not finding a definitive description
of the problem
and a fix. I hacked around until I found one :)
Id like to share here so that it can be fixed in an update or something.

on my lappy the soundcard is detected as

lspci
00:lb.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (IHC8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 03)

in the mixer and other programs it comes up as Conexant

The fix I found is really simple :)

You just need to add

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop position_fix=1

to the bottom of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

and that fixes glitchy audio for this sound card.

I hope this helps as if anyone using this laptop needs to use i for
anything more than playing mp3's
or finds that music / composition software is unusable (like i did)
this will make them happy again!

for the record - this problem was particularly evident in the program
Renoise / (although i found it in other software such as LMMS ) too
weirdly the problem was much less evident when running programs under
wine (such as Reason and Fruity Loops - thats a completely seperate
issue though )

Kind Regards

Nick...