Hi Andrew

Thanks for responding to my queries.  I've now added raw1394 to
/etc/modules, as you said, and that bit works fine.  You mention that
"having -controls add raw1394 to /etc/modules" is not a bad idea.  I'm not
sure what that means, though.  Are you saying I should type it like this -
"raw1394 -control" (without the quotes)?

The command I use to start jack from the terminal is just the one I copied
from your former post (I'm afraid I don't know that many commands!) - "jackd
-d firewire".  I still get the same error message (as when I had to
modprobe) in the terminal, as follows:

firewire ERR: Incompatible libffado version! (libffado 1.999.36-)
cannot load driver module firewire
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns

And ffado still (probably obviously) doesn't appear in qjackctl.

My system is completely up-to-date, including the last jackd update.

Thanks for your help.

Neil

PS - I'm not sure of the correct way to reply to the Digest, I hope I got it
right this time, but I'm sorry if I messed up again.