On 10 March 2010 18:27, Scott Lavender <scottalaven...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Fritz Meissner <meissner.fr...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Things like running JACK with pasuspend are the sort of "cleaning up"
>> and integration work that I was thinking would take some time to work
>> through. I had been thinking it would be best to wait for this to
>> happen before starting testing, but I suppose that the sooner testers
>> start checking, the sooner these things will be found and fixed.
>
> I believe that qjackctl invoking pasuspender is an already established
> mechanism and was implemented as far back as Hardy.  It is possible that
> this has not/will not change until JACK2 is implemented but I don't know
> this for fact.  I suppose it is equally possible that JACK will now pass
> audio to Pulse Audio under Lucid.  But the last two sentences are both
> speculative and not based on any tangible evidence.
>
> I haven't talked directly at length to any Ubuntu Studio developers about
> this, nor have I done any testing of my own.  I am hoping to start testing
> the -generic vs. -lowlatency/-preempt kernels this weekend, which I will
> prepend with a few rudimentary tests of Pulse Audio and JACK so I have a
> better understanding of their audio integration state.

I'll be interested to hear what you find. Based on the Main Inclusion
Report for Jack which you authored, I am expecting Lucid Studio to
have the following functional out of the box :

- xine, alsa-plugins, portaudio, pulseaudio compiled with jack support
so that most applications would still be able to use the audio
hardware while jack is running (e.g. being able to use Skype without
first shutting down jack), and not having to suspend PulseAudio to use
jack.

- general applications should have transparent access to  firewire
devices via pulseaudio/jack/ffado for audio input and output.

I realise that for serious audio work one would dedicate the
workstation to audio and deliberately shut down everything not needed,
so the above would not really be relevant, but I think that many
people (like me) just want to have a reasonable audio capability
without dabbling in arcana, and without making the machine useless for
anything else.

Regards,

Fritz