Le 24/08/2010 19:04, Scott Lavender a écrit :

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 8:56 AM, tto...@ttoine.net <mailto:tto...@ttoine.net> <tto...@ttoine.net <mailto:tto...@ttoine.net>> wrote:

    Le 24/08/2010 12:11, Cory K. a écrit :
    On 08/24/2010 04:56 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
    Hi,

    Adding users to the audio group is not recommended for reasons I've just
    documented here:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/TheAudioGroup

    Looking at ubuntu studio documentation, you seem to recommend people to
    add themselves to the audio group pretty much (found by doing a search
    for "audio group" onhelp.ubuntu.com  <http://help.ubuntu.com>), so can we
remove it? Change it to
    something else?

    That's under the "community" section. Something we don't control.

    Also, it was nessesary in the past because of permissions needed for
    some soundcards. (firewire I believe) From what I have seen, our users
    are folks who have "single-user" systems. (this is actually our target
    audience and setup) So your "Implications" section will not apply to them.

    Someone with more current grasp on the situation should chime in. As
    long as a solution can be found that works for everyone we can change
    the documentation. In the end, adding users still might be needed for
    corner cases and those folks won't care. They'll just want their gear to
    work. :)

    -Cory K.

    David, Cory,

    Their would be one case, when a user would have his workstation in
    a dedicated room for noisy hardware, and use a remote connection
    with a low power computer in the studio, where this could be a
    problem as David described.

    With the current LTS release, the use of the "audio" group is for
    a real time use of jackd. The document you may have found is this
    one, I guess:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation#Real
    time (-rt) and Low latency (-lowlatency) kernels

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioPreparation#Real%20time%20%28-rt%29%20and%20Low%20latency%20%28-lowlatency%29%20kernels>

    For firewire sound cards, ffado driver needs user to be member of
    the "video" group, as a firewire sound card is considered to be
    similar as a "dv" camera by firewire libraries.

    Maybe, we just have to change "audio" group for "realtime" or
    something like that. That would mean changing the post
    configuration of jackd installation package, wich create the
    "audio" settings/entries for real time use. If you think this is
    compulsory, then, it is easy to do it: ask the jackd maintainer to
    change the group name, I and other update their documentation and
    it's done.

    To "fine tune", a dedicated possibility should be added to "User
    and Group Manager Privileges" GUI, and maybe the "Use audio
    devices" should be renamed for "Use audio devices on remote
    connection" or something like that.

    Toine

Crimsun has mentioned that the user shouldn't be added to the audio group at all for real-time privileges. My understanding is that privileges are granted by ConsoleKit for the active user at the keyboard. Unfortunately, that is the extent of my understanding.

You can see his explanation beginning at [20:09] here: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/05/16/%23ubuntustudio-devel.txt

I haven't tested this though and I don't think the user has been removed by default from the audio group for maverick at this point.

ScottL

ScottL,

Jack from Ubuntu 10.04 repositories won't start in real time if the user is not in the audio group. For that, you have to use the jackd 2 from the PPA of falk-tj, on Launchpad.

Are you using his backports as a base for maverick ?

Toine