On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:45 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani <abog...@ubuntu.com>wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> 2010/10/14 Brian David <beej...@gmail.com>:
> [...]
> > Alessio, here is a link to the requested log files:
> > http://www.sunmachine.coop/ubuntu/xorg_logs.zip
> > Apologies for taking so long to get these to you.
>
> Don't worry! :-)
>
> The /var/log/Xorg.[0-9]*.log and dmesg output are mandatory for help
> to understand problems under all kernels. The former it is
> particularly X oriented when the latter is more generic (it is cover
> all things controlled by kernel).
> *SNIP*
>
> Ciao,
> Alessio

Thanks for the excellent instructions!

I attempted to work on this today, however I got to step 4 ("Switch to
command line interface (CTRL+ALT+F1)") and was unable to get to a CLI
prompt.  I wait until X fails, the screen goes blank, and after making sure
the system is no longer doing anything, I hit CTRL+ALT+F1.  Nothing happens,
and I am forced to do a hard reset.

What should I try next?
--
-Brian David